Vehicle Use Policy
This policy provides specific requirements and guidelines for the acquisition, use, and disposal of Pender United Methodist Church vehicles. Pursuant to the Discipline of the United Methodist Church, use of church equipment must be in accordance with the general purposes of the United Methodist Church.
This policy has been prepared to provide an equitable means to maximize use of the church vehicles, while managing Pender’s liability. Recognizing the priority of the core church-related activities, it is expected that thoughtful implementation of this policy will ensure proper use of all church vehicles.
This policy shall be administered by the Pender Church Administrator. The Church Administrator may delegate some duties to Pender staff or qualified office volunteers, as appropriate. Therefore, the term “Church Administrator” may mean the Church Administrator or Church Administrator’s designee.
Except as specifically noted, inquiries about this policy shall be directed to the Church Administrator. If more than routine clarification is required, action by the Senior Pastor, the Board of Trustees, and/or the Church Council may be required. In this policy, the term "church" refers to Pender United Methodist Church.
The Senior Pastor and the Church Council approved this policy on September 16, 2009.
Pender United Methodist Church provides vehicles in order to enhance its ability to reach the world with the message of Jesus Christ. This policy governs how and when the vehicles are utilized, and who may use them. A copy of this policy must remain in the glove compartment of each vehicle at all times.
VEHICLE USE REQUIREMENTS:
Authorized vehicle use requires the following:
- Use is in support of Pender UMC ministries and supported organizations (personal use is prohibited).
- Only an Authorized User may check out Pender vehicles.
- Authorized User agrees that once a vehicle is checked out, only Authorized Users will operate the vehicle.
- Authorized Users agree to follow all driving-related laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, and other states where the vehicle may be operated, and applicable local ordinances.
- Users will behave in a Christ-like manner at all times.
- Smoking is not allowed in Pender UMC vehicles.
- Alcoholic beverages, drugs, gambling, or un-Christian activities are prohibited.
- General Use Passenger Van(s) - 1st priority is support of general church projects and organizations.
- Outreach Center Box Truck - 1st priority is support of the AK Outreach Center.
- Missionary Vehicle - 1st priority is for missionaries supported under the existing Missions Faith Promise Budget.
The Church Administrator will resolve any usage conflicts.
DURATION OF USE:
Duration of Use is defined as:
- Short Term: Up to 60 days.
- Long Term: 61 days to 12 Months.
The following individuals are eligible to become an Approved User upon meeting the requirements set forth in this policy:
- Members of Pender UMC.
- Employees of Pender UMC.
- Missionaries and those who represent mission organizations supported under the existing Missions Faith Promise Budget.
- Other individuals as specifically designated by the Church Council.
- All users must be at least 21 years old.
AUTHORIZED USER APPROVAL:
Authorization of Users and compliance with this policy shall be administered by the Church Administrator.
The process of granting authorization of an applicant to be an Authorized User to drive a Pender UMC vehicle is as follows:
1. Applicant requests a copy of Pender’s Vehicle Use Policy and a Driver’s Disclosure and Authorization form (below) from the Church Administrator, and notifies the Administrator if approval is needed for an upcoming use within the next 2 weeks.
2. Applicant submits a completed Driver’s Disclosure and Authorization form, and photocopy of their current driver’s license to the Church Administrator at least 7 days prior to needing authorization to drive a Pender vehicle.
3. Pender’s automobile insurance agent will review the applicant’s driving record and confirm that the applicant’s license is in full effect and will notify the Church Administrator if the applicant holds a license that is in full effect.
4. The Church Administrator will notify the applicant of approval or denial of driving privileges to operate Pender vehicles using the attached form letters.
Violations of this policy shall be grounds for revocation or denial of driving privileges by the Board of Trustees.
Furthermore, Pender reserves the right to deny driving privileges due to any non-driving related reason the Church Council deems unacceptable or inconsistent with the interests and purposes of Pender UMC.
A list of Authorized Users will be maintained by the Church Administrator, along with a separate list of individuals who have been denied driving privileges for the current year.
Authorized Users who wish to maintain their driving authorization must renew their authorization annually (on or about October 1st of each year) by completing the approval process outlined in this policy. Pender will have their automobile insurance agent check the driving records of all Users at least annually.
Check Out Procedures:
- Authorized User shall reserve vehicle in advance and indicate the purpose(s) of the trip(s). A sign-up notebook is provided in the mailbox in the hallway by the Fellowship Hall.
- For use of the Outreach Center Truck (white box truck), the Authorized User and/or the office staff must coordinate with the Outreach Center Manager to ensure that the truck has not already been reserved for an Outreach Center purpose (in the case where the sign-up notebook has not yet been updated).
- On the date of vehicle pick-up, the User will pick up the keys and the vehicle log book from the Church Administrator, or designee, and sign the vehicle out. If the pick up time is not during normal church office hours, arrangements will be made in advance with the Church Administrator.
- The User shall confirm that the vehicle has a full tank of gas, the vehicle policy is in the glove box of the vehicle, and that the vehicle is suitable for the intended use. If not, the User shall notify the Church Administrator immediately.
- User shall enter the beginning mileage, destination(s) of trip(s), and purpose(s) of trip(s).
VEHICLE USE AND OPERATION:
- User agrees to follow all provisions of the Pender Vehicle Use Policy at all times.
- User will follow all driving-related laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia, and other states where the vehicle may be operated, and applicable local ordinances.
- User agrees to maintain the vehicle log book (record beginning mileage, ending mileage, and notes about the trip(s) including the purpose of trip(s), any maintenance performed, and any problems with the vehicle).
LONG TERM USER VEHICLE MAINTENANCE:
- A log book of all maintenance and repairs shall be maintained.
- Long Term User agrees to perform routine maintenance such as oil changes, light bulb replacement, tire pressure, car washing, etc. at intervals specified by the church office, and/or as needed, and agrees to pay for the cost of such routine maintenance.
- Major repairs and high cost items such as tire replacement, brakes, windshields, etc. will be performed by Pender UMC and paid for by Pender UMC.
- If major repairs are required while a Pender vehicle is out of town, User agrees to provide an estimate of repairs to the church office and obtain authorization to perform the repairs prior to having the work done. Pender may elect to pay for repairs directly, or provide reimbursement upon receipt of a detailed invoice of repairs or maintenance performed to the Church Administrator.
- Safety and emissions inspections shall be performed as required and the cost of such inspections shall be reimbursed to the User by Pender UMC.
- Fines for improper/non-functioning equipment shall be paid for by Long Term User if fine is imposed because routine maintenance was not performed, or if major repairs were not reported to Pender UMC and not performed when needed.
ACCIDENTS AND VEHICLE DAMAGE:
- User shall notify the church office as soon as possible if the vehicle is involved in an accident, or if the vehicle suffers damage.
VEHICLE RETURN PROCEDURES:
- User agrees to fill the gas tank before returning the vehicle.
- User agrees to return the vehicle in clean condition.
- The vehicle will be fully signed back in only when 1). the vehicle, 2). the keys, and 3). the completed vehicle log book are returned to the Church Administrator. If the return time is not during normal church office hours, arrangements shall be made in advance with the Church Administrator.
- User agrees to inform the church office of any maintenance of, or repairs required to, the vehicle (this notification is in addition to logging the need in the vehicle log book).
Users who do not comply with check out, operation, and return of vehicles in accordance with this Policy will have their driving privileges revoked.
VEHICLE ACQUISITION AND FUNDING:
- Pender ministries will document vehicle requirements and needs, and will present these requirements to the Church Council for approval.
- The Church Council will approve the acquisition of all vehicles PRIOR to acceptance or purchase.
- Trustees will acquire, insure, and license all vehicles.
- Trustees will fund the maintenance of all vehicles, except as outlined for Long Term Users.
- Trustees will fund vehicle replacement as a part of the annual budget process. Other Pender ministries may opt to supplement Trustee funds.
Individual ministries may recommend to the Trustees that the church dispose of a vehicle when the cost of maintaining or repairing vehicle becomes prohibitive or the usage requirement has been satisfied through other means.
Based upon ministry recommendations, the Trustees will dispose of unneeded or unserviceable vehicles.
 For missionaries and representatives of mission organizations possessing only an international driver’s license, the status of their driver’s license cannot be checked by Pender’s automobile insurance agent. Approval of driving privileges will be granted based on written recommendation from the Church Council.
Printed Name of Applicant: ________________________________________________________
Date of Birth: ____________________________________________________________________
Driver's License number: _________________________________________________________
Home Phone: ___________________________________________________________________
Mobile Phone: ___________________________________________________________________
Email Address: __________________________________________________________________
In order to assess your suitability to drive Pender UMC vehicles, and assess Pender’s liability as a result of permitting use of the church’s vehicles, the following information is needed to comply with Pender’s Vehicle Use Policy. This information will be used by Pender’s automobile insurance agent to check your driving record to confirm that your license is valid and in full effect.
1. Are you at least 21 years old? Yes ____ No ____
2. Do you currently hold a valid driver's license? Yes ____ (provide a photocopy with this form) No ____
3. Do you agree that you will notify the Church Administrator immediately if your driver’s license becomes suspended, restricted, or revoked? Yes ____ No ____
4. Do you agree that you will notify the Church Administrator immediately if your driver’s license number, legal name, or residential address changes? Yes ____ No ____
5. Do you give permission to Pender UMC to have the status of your license checked on an annual or as-needed basis? Yes ____ No ____
By signing below, you authorize Pender UMC’s automobile insurance agent, and/or its designee, permission to review your driving record as needed. Driving records will be checked.
Your signature certifies that the information set forth in this Disclosure and Authorization is current, accurate, and complete to the best of your knowledge, and you acknowledge that providing false, misleading, or materially incomplete statements will result denial or revocation of driving privileges. You also certify that you have been provided with, read, and agree to abide by all requirements of the current Pender Vehicle Use Policy.
Signature: _____________________________________ Date: ________________
You will be notified of authorization or denial to your request for driving privileges by the Church Administrator or authorized designee within approximately 5 business days of receipt of all information needed by Pender’s automobile insurance agent.